There are lots of reasons why it is important to ensure that foods are safe for eating. One of these reasons is to avoid food poisoning.
Food poisoning usually occurs when a person consumes food which contains viruses, or bacteria which are harmful and lead to illness. The most common sources of germs that cause food poisoning are in chicken, eggs, raw meat, and fish. They can also be found in other types of food once they are spread. Storing foods for extended periods and improper storage can also cause these germs to develop in foods. Touching food with dirty hands can also cause food poisoning.
Some cases of food poisoning may pose serious problems while others may be minor issues. To avoid any event of food poisoning, following the tips listed below can help.
Preparing your foods properly
When you decide to make your food, there are certain precautions you should take.
- You should make sure you wash your hands properly before handling food items
- You should wash your kitchen counters and surfaces with hot water and soap to fight germs
- Dishcloths and towels which you use in the kitchen should be washed regularly
- Do not let raw meats, fish, or egg, come in contact with other foods. This is because they may contain germs
- Certain foods that have molds growing on them should be disposed
Note: certain foods can still be used if they have molds growing on them and some others are made with a mold. Read more and learn about foods which are safe and how to handle them.
Cooking your foods
When cooking your foods, there are certain things you must ensure you do properly and they include
- Ensuring the yolk and the whites of an egg are properly cooked before eating
- Covering food and turning to ensure the heat circulates when using a microwave
- Ensuring you measure the temperature when cooking an egg, meat, or poultry. It should be at safe temperature
Storing your foods
- You should store foods using containers which can seal tightly
- Poultry products, raw meat, and fish should be refrigerated. Leftovers should also be refrigerated. Refrigeration should be done within 2 hours
- Ensure canned foods are in good condition. Rusted or leaking cans should not be used
When serving your foods, it is important you know some information about the food you wish to serve.
Foods which you have in the refrigerator but you are not sure of how long should be disposed of. This is to avoid consuming any food that may contain germs. You should also note that if food is contaminated, reheating the food does not make it suitable for human consumption. Such foods should also be thrown away.
If you can follow the guidelines given, you can reduce the risk of food poisoning in your homes. You should also be careful when you go out to eat in a restaurant. You should always request the food be hot before eating in a restaurant to better protect yourself. Following the instructions and looking at the dates on packaged products is also advised.